If you or a loved one have a substance use disorder, you already know that addiction affects the entire family. To promote a full recovery, our Compass Detox team advises clients to consider including family members in their treatment plan. Our treatment center in South Florida takes a holistic approach to recovery which includes family addiction therapy programs that help you mend broken relationships so you can create the future you want. By including loved ones in the detox process, you can give everyone a chance to overcome the impact of substance abuse.
How Addiction Impacts the Family
As your family begins to cope with addiction, cracks and fissures may appear within what you once thought was a solid unit. Some problems arise when one or more family members become dependent on alcohol and drugs.
Some of these addiction effects on the family include:
- Jealousy – Younger family members may feel jealousy if the person with a substance use disorder receives more attention. As a matter of fact, this can cause resentments among older family members as well.
- Money issues – Families typically have budgets for everyday expenses such as groceries, rent or mortgage, utilities, and other necessities. However, if one of the responsible members of the family suddenly allocates their funds toward a drug or alcohol habit, it impacts the financial well-being of the entire family.
- Trauma – Coping with a loved one under the influence of drugs and alcohol takes its toll. Partners, daughters, brothers, and close friends all feel the sting when a trusted relationship becomes an ordeal in manipulation and lying.
- Health issues – Health issues will almost certainly include the person addicted to drugs or alcohol. However, other family members may neglect their well-being as they try to act as caregivers to their loved ones with a substance abuse disorder.
The good news is that family therapy at Compass Recovery can help alleviate these issues.
Family Therapy for Addiction
The definition of family is often a personal one. If you have close emotional ties to someone, you don’t necessarily have to share a blood bond to be family. Some of the many relatives we invite into our family therapy for addiction programs are:
- Extended family
- Close friends
- Foster parents or siblings
After the initial detox process at Compass Detox concludes, family therapy can help you begin making progress in your long-term recovery. Once you can think clearly, it’s easier to deal with conflicts and intense emotions that often arise as a result of addiction in families.
Goals Set in Family Therapy
Family therapy sessions provide support and guidance as families work through their emotional challenges related to addiction. We often advise families to keep the goals in mind during therapy, including:
- Move past distrust to build new relationships
- Forgive other family members, not just the one with a substance abuse issue, and move on
- Deal effectively with stress related to substance addiction
- Work through anger and focus on productive ways to support one another
- Maintaining or regaining strong family bonds goes a long way toward lifelong recovery
- With the support and love of family members, it’s much easier to replace drug and alcohol abuse with healthier, more productive passions
Treatment at Compass Detox
At Compass Detox, your family can review the types of holistic and traditional therapy programs we have available. In addition, we offer targeted programs that address overcoming issues associated with specific substances, including:
- Alcohol detox
- Opiate detox
- Meth detox
- Benzo detox
- Heroin detox
- Prescription drug detox
Rebuild Family Relationships with Help from Compass Detox
Come to Compass Detox when you want a holistic approach to your substance use disorder. We include family therapy, individual therapy, and group therapy to give you maximum exposure to various healing approaches. If you have had a substance use disorder for months or years, you may worry that you won’t be able to resist cravings or withstand withdrawal symptoms. Call us today at [Direct] or complete our online form to discover how our innovative detox programs help you remain comfortable and focused on recovery.